Posts for category: Dermatology
In the past, lasers were a thing of science fiction, only imaginable in conjunction with stun guns or robots. However, thanks to great strides in modern technology, lasers are commonplace in treating medical conditions, especially in the dermatological field. Find out more about laser skin treatments and what they can do for your skin with Dr. Whitney Tope at Academic Dermatology in Edina, MN.
Laser Skin Treatments in Edina, MN
Laser skin treatments are versatile and can help many skin conditions. Some common laser skin treatments offered by most dermatologists include:
- Laser Hair Removal: Laser hair removal systems use lasers to target and destroy the follicle of the hair, preventing future hair growth after several sessions.
- Laser Resurfacing: Laser resurfacing treatments focus on improving the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, sun damage, and scars. The treatment uses lasers to penetrate the skin and remove the top layer of dead and damaged skin cells.
- Laser Skin Rejuvenation: Laser skin rejuvenation is similar to laser resurfacing, but uses tiny beams of light to penetrate deeper into the skin to help promote the body’s natural healing processes and improve the skin’s appearance.
- Pulsed Dye Laser Treatments: This procedure treats unsightly blood vessels or veins on the skin. The treatment targets the unwanted vein, directing the laser’s energy to a specific area to destroy the vein and fade its appearance while keeping the surrounding skin intact. These treatments help improve the appearance of spider veins, port wine stains, hemangiomas, and redness from rosacea and other skin conditions.
- Laser Peel: Similar to a chemical peel, a laser peel removes the topmost layers of facial skin to help even and smooth its appearance. Deeper laser peels result in more significant results, improving deeper lines and wrinkles.
If you think you could benefit from laser skin treatments, your dermatologist can help you determine which treatments are the best choice for you and your skin. For more information on laser skin treatments, please contact Dr. Whitney Tope at Academic Dermatology in Edina, MN. Call (952) 746-6090 to schedule your appointment with Dr. Tope today!
Is redness causing you to feel embarrassed? Find out what might be causing it.
Have you been battling red skin for a while? Not sure why redness is occurring or what you can do about it? Our Edina, MN, dermatologist Dr. Whitney Tope may have some of the answers you’ve been looking for. Here are some of the most common causes of redness:
- Sensitive skin
- Chemical burn
- Allergic reactions
- Poison ivy
- Bug bites
What is rosacea?
When people think about skin redness they often think about rosacea. This skin condition can lead to visible blood vessels on the face, red bumps or rashes (which may look like acne), dry eyes and itchy skin. If you suspect that your skin’s redness and irritation could be due to rosacea then it’s time you called our Edina, MN, skin doctor for an evaluation. Even if you don’t think you have rosacea, if you’ve been trying to calm your skin’s redness without results, it’s also time to give us a call.
How can I keep redness down?
It’s also a good idea to evaluate your daily skin routine to check for things that may be making your redness worse. If you find that you use a lot of exfoliating skin care products you may want to limit their use or be gentler when applying them.
If you have sensitive skin, you may want to avoid cleansers with harsher ingredients. If you use acne-fighting cleansers and notice that your skin is red and irritated, you’ll want to talk to us about better skin cleansers and products to use.
You should also apply a moisturizer every day to your skin to keep it supple and hydrated. Dry skin is also more prone to redness, so making sure you find the right moisturizer for your needs is very important. If you need suggestions, we can help!
Also, what you eat could also be fueling your redness. It’s never a bad idea to limit or even avoid hot beverages, alcohol or spicy foods, which can exacerbate your symptoms.
If you are dealing with redness or other skin issues, don’t hesitate to reach out to Academic Dermatology in Edina, MN, to book an appointment with us. Let’s get to the source of your problem quickly so that we can treat it right away.