Posts for: August, 2019
Losing the battle against acne? It’s time to turn to a dermatologist in Edina.
Dealing with acne can be frustrating and embarrassing; however, it’s one of the most common skin problems that our Edina, MN, dermatologists Drs. Whitney and Dawn Tope treat. Want to know when it’s time to see a specialist for acne treatment? Even if your acne isn’t serious, you could still benefit from seeing a doctor. In fact, most people dealing with acne could benefit from turning to a dermatologist.
Is it time to turn to a dermatologist in Edina, MN? It might be if:
- You feel like you’ve tried many different acne-fighting products but nothing has worked
- Acne continues to come back
- You have deep, painful cystic acne
- You’ve had acne for years and don’t understand what’s causing it
- You feel self-conscious because of your acne
- You notice marks or scarring once acne goes away
- You have widespread acne on your face and body
While acne most commonly occurs during a person’s teen years this doesn’t mean that children, adults and even seniors don’t also deal with breakouts. If you find yourself canceling social engagements or feeling embarrassed about your skin then it’s time to do something about it.
While those with mild acne may find relief from simple over-the-counter cleansers and treatment options not everyone gets the results they want, especially if they are dealing with stubborn or severe cystic acne. When trying out a new acne product it’s important to give it ample time for it to fully work.
It’s important to give acne medication at least four weeks for an acne treatment to begin working and it can take up to 2-3 months for skin to become clearer.
Other ways to keep skin healthy and to reduce breakouts include:
- Washing skin with a gentle cleanser twice a day
- Using products that are non-comedogenic (won’t clog pores) and oil-free
- Keeping hands off your face, which can transfer bacteria and lead to inflammation
- Not touching or picking at pimples, which can make them worse
- Washing pillowcases and other items that regularly come in contact with your skin, especially areas prone to acne
- Disinfecting your cell phone at least once a day
Academic Dermatology in Edina, MN, is dedicated to providing you with the very best skin care you could need for healthier more radiant skin. Don’t let acne affect your self-esteem. Call us today to schedule an evaluation.