Sun Protection Guide
Here are some tips and information from Dr. Tope at Academic Dermatology
- Cover up! Wear UV protective clothing.
- Daily application of a sunscreen to exposed skin of your face, neck, chest and hands.
- Wear a hat that protects your face and ears—especially if you have thinning hair. The best hats have a brim of at least 3 inches all the way around
- Wear large close-fitting sunglasses with UV coatings to protect against eye damage (cataracts) and wrinkles around the eyes.
- Stay out of the sun between 10am and 4pm, when the sun's rays are the strongest.
What Dr. Tope looks for when picking a good sunscreen
There are so many options, but the key is to find a good sunscreen you like and will use regularly.
- Look for sunscreens which provide protection from a broad range of ultraviolet light. These are "Broad Spectrum" suncreens which protect against UVA and UVB light
- For daily wear if you are mostly inside, a facial moisturizer or sunscreen with SPF 30 or greater is ideal and easy to use.
- For days spent outdoors, a higher SPF is recommended with "broad-spectrum" (better UVA) protection. Look for sunscreens with zinc oxide, titanium (5% or greater), Mexoryl 3% or "stabilized" Parsol/avobenzone. These all give excellent UVA and UVB protection.
- Layering sunscreens is a very good idea in sun sensitive patients or patients prone to melasma. Example, after the application of a cream sunscreen, apply a tinted powder sunscreen like Colorescience SPF 30.
For daily use:
- Anthelios Sunscreen SPF 45 or 60
- Revision Intellishade 45 Matte Finish
- SkinCeuticals SPF 20 or 30 (zinc)
- Colorscience Powder SPF 30 (zinc/titanium)
- Neutrogena Healthy Defense SPF 30 (stabalized Parsol/avobenzone)
For outdoor occupations or athletes:
- SkinCeuticals SPF 45
- Coppertone Sport SPF 45 or 60 (over the counter)
- Neutrogena Helioplex SPF 55 and higher. (over the counter)
- Layer with Colorscience Powders for superb sun protection that is sweat resistant.
- Neutrogena Helioplex Cooling Mist SPF 55, 70 and higher (over the counter)
- Banana Boat Lip Balm SPF 30
- Bert's Bees Lifeguard Formula